In 2019, Greubel Forsey introduced the GMT Sport, which features a new case architecture that combines sculptural lines for ergonomics, robustness and comfort. Continuing their passion for exploring new paths, creative watchmakers Robert Greubel and Stephen Forsey present their new sports watch, the BALANCIER S in titanium.
The BALANCIER S timepiece reinterprets a unique case that showcases a new movement. The case is round, with a distinctive domed oval shape from other angles, with integrated lugs and strap, and a satin bezel engraved with Greubel Forsey’s key values. The new “Balancier S” achieves a slim profile that enhances its dynamic new dynamics.
The rubber crown and strap with rubber inserts ensure excellent grip and protection of the timepiece. The oval domed sapphire crystal follows the curvature of the case. The bold double-suspended arched bridges carry the sloping gear train and the curved central hour and minute hands, technically and visually emphasizing the perfect penetration between the case and the movement. These striking elements are integrated and extended to the inclined balance wheel, giving the watch a strong identity while ensuring its outstanding timekeeping performance.
The large inclined balance wheel at 7 o’clock stands out. The overarching goal is to improve the chronograph function, which maximises the space provided by the domed case and sapphire crystal, linking form and function. In their relentless pursuit of precision and performance, Robert Greubel and Stephen Forsey have challenged timekeeping, notably with the 24-second tourbillon, quadruple tourbillon and 30° double tourbillon Tourbillon reinvents the tourbillon mechanism. They opted for a new approach here, based on the large balance wheel introduced in 2016.
Completely developed and manufactured in the replica Greubel Forsey studio, this balance wheel, with its extra large diameter of 12.6 mm, ensures excellent timekeeping performance. For fine chronometric adjustment of the moment of inertia, the balance rim is fitted with six gold adjusting screws, embedded to limit air friction. For the first time in this new hand-wound movement, for which multiple patents have been filed, the imposing Greubel Forsey balance is inclined for the first time.
This 30° angle relative to the horizontal plane of the movement proved to be an excellent solution for limiting timing errors due to the effect of gravity on the regulating mechanisms (balance, spring and escapement) that stabilize the position. Combined with a large-diameter balance wheel and a frequency of 21,600 vibrations per hour, it provides this timepiece with exceptional timekeeping performance – which is also conspicuous in operation thanks to the unique movement architecture.
Mounted in tandem with two coaxial barrels, the 308-part movement has a 72-hour chronograph power reserve, displayed on a sector at 2 o’clock using a skeletonized red-tipped hand. Central hours and minutes display with contoured and skeletonised hands in polished stainless steel, with small seconds on the escapement bevel at 8 o’clock, emphasising the depth and relief of this new movement. copy watch
In keeping with the innovative spirit of Greubel Forsey, technical and architectural innovations are accomplished through unconditional care and craftsmanship for all components of the movement. Greubel Forsey Atelier has mastered this traditional and irreplaceable craftsmanship – frosted, polished beveled and countersunk, rounded and ruled grained to accentuate even the smallest surfaces.
The hand-finishing of titanium for mainplates and bridges has proven to be much more difficult than steel or even nickel-silver, and further adds to the technical and aesthetic challenges this timepiece represents.
Made of titanium, the Balancier S is water-resistant to 100 meters, and its sporty and powerful case shape is distinguished by its lightness and comfort on the wrist. Its robustness protects the movement, especially its large balance wheel, which has been tested in the Greubel Forsey EWT laboratory to ensure its reliability and timekeeping performance at all times. A flexible and durable rubber strap enhances the sporty feel, and a titanium folding clasp provides all the comfort.
Model: Balancier S (Titanium)
Manual winding movement • Patent pending
Four-hand chronograph • Hours and minutes • Small seconds power reserve • 30° inclined GREUBEL FORSEY balance wheel system
• Hours and minutes, on suspended arch bridges
• Small seconds
• 72-hour sector power reserve
• Titanium with curved synthetic sapphire crystal
• Solid, variable geometry bezel with engraved text
• Shaped lugs, screwed
• Rubber strap
• Transparent case back, high-dome synthetic sapphire crystal
• Titanium safety screws
• Embossed “Balancier” and “Greuber Forsey”
• Strap diameter: 43.00 mm
• Bezel Diameter: 45.00 mm
• Case height: 13.75 mm
• Synthetic sapphire crystal height: 15.60 mm
• Waterproof: 10 atm – 100 m – 328 ft (Standard NIHS 92-20/SN ISO 22810:2010)
• Titanium and with GF logo
of rubber • Colored rubber caps, interchangeable
• Three-dimensional variable geometric hour ring with lacquered hours and minutes
Graduations • Power reserve indicator, engraved and lacquered
• Gold small seconds, rhodium colour, polished bevel
• Hours and minutes, curved profile, polished steel
• Small seconds, red finish
• Polished stainless steel power reserve, black polished flat head
Strap and Buckle
• Rubber with embossed text
• Titanium folding clasp with engraved GF logo
• Diameter: 37.00 mm
• Thickness: 10.62 mm
number of parts
• Movement: 308 parts
• Escapement: 68 parts
number of jewels
• Olive Dome Jewelry in a Gold Sink
Chrono Power Reserve
• 72 hours
• Two coaxial tandem fast-turning barrels (one revolution in 3.2 hours), one of which is equipped with a sliding spring to avoid excessive tension
• Embossed text, round grain, black finish, polished bevel
• Internal variable inertia with 6 gold averaging time screws (12.60mm diameter)
• 21,600 vibrations/hour
• Phillips end curve
• Geneva Studs
Bridge and main plate
• Matte, polished bevels and countersinks
• Multi-layer cantilevered bridge, black embossed, polished bevel and countersink polished
• Movement sides, frosted bridges, polished edges and bevels
• Engraved Gold Plate Limit Number, Round Grain, Polished Bevels and Countersinks, Straight Grain Sides
• Tilt 30°
• Titanium, matte, polished countersink, large straight bevel, black finish
• Multi-layer titanium balance bridge, black embossed polished finish, polished bevel and countersunk
• Involute profile
• Special-shaped teeth and small seconds on the helical gear and the intermediate wheel of the fixed-hand mechanism